By: In Our Words Staff
Wednesday, July 17th
- July Burly, 9pm, the Burlington, 3425 W Fullerton, Free
Burly is a free monthly night of music and drink at the Burlington Bar in Logan Square for queer, gay, lesbian, and otherwise funky and/or bearded individuals. Burliness not required. Our celebrity guest DJ this month is Joe Erbentraut of Subject to Change!
Thursday, July 18th
- Hope in the City: A Night of Stories by Urban Village Church, 8pm, Bethany Retirement Community, 1602 W Ainslie, Free
Join us for a night of stories about experiences of hope in the city. Stories start at 8pm, coffee provided, all are welcome
- SEIZE the Mic, 8pm, Funky Buddha Lounge, 728 W Grand, Free with RSVP
– RSVP Attendees free all night
– Non-RSVP attendees will pay a $5 admission, no exceptions
– Artist sign up starts at 8:00 pm
– Performances will start promptly at 9:00 pm
– 5 Minute Cypher for all those talented lyricists looking to show their skills off
– Post party will begin at 11pm
SPECIAL GUEST FEATURE COMEDIAN Leah Eva
FUN DON’T STOP THERE! WE GOT POWER 92’S VERY OWN J Grigdes Doingitwaybig FOR THE AFTER PARTY!
- 2nd Annual T.G.I.F. Benefit w/Swaguerrilla, Black Gold & DJ Melvin, 10pm, Berlin, 954 W Belmont
KOKUMOMEDIA is a multimedia production company that creates art that illuminates the experiences of TGI people of color. And KOKUMOMEDIA is proud to present T.G.I.F. 2013 (Trans*, Gender Non-Conforming, Intersex Freedom). T.G.I.F. is an annual gathering held to address the current state of affairs regarding the international TGI community. The theme for T.G.I.F. 2013 is, Transcending Pride, Evolving Movements. In the wake of Paige Clay, the blatant genocide of black transfeminine youth, and the intentional exclusion of the TGI agenda in the fight for “Marriage Equality”, T.G.I.F. 2013 poses this question. Now that we are proud of who we are, how can we make it so that forthcoming TGI generations don’t have to face what we do?
Saturday, July 20th
- Rocky Horror at the Music Box Theatre, 11:30pm, Music Box Theatre, 3733 N Southport, $10
It’s our monthly edition of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Music Box! If you haven’t been to the show, you’re missing out! Dance party! Virgin sacrifice! Vintage movie trailers! Rocky Horror!
Sunday, July 21st
- KOKUMO’s Music Video/Short Film Shooting, 6pm, 350 N Ogden
KOKUMOMEDIA INC. and Lovelysurreal Productions will be shooting a music video/short film for There Will Come A Day the lead single off of my debut EP by the same name. Our time is very limited so please be on time if you decide to bring your beautiful self.
Monday, July 22nd
- BYC Housewarming, 5pm, Broadway Youth Center, 615 W Wellington
Join the Broadway Youth Center as we celebrate the move to our NEW location! Learn more about our programs and how YOU can get involved.
Tuesday, July 23rd
- Bed, Bath and Beyonce, 8pm, Revolution Brewery, 2323 N Milwaukee
Outloud Chicago is a production effort that installs queer and queer friendly entertainment in mainstream Chicago venues. In the last two years, from comedy to music and spoken word storytelling events, Outloud’s shows have given a stage to queer performers and has been received by both straight and queer audiences to critical acclaim.
The celebration includes some of Chicago’s most talented performers in a tribute to Beyonce affectionately called Bed, Bath and Beyonce. Performers include JC Brooks from JC Brooks and The Uptown Sound, Adam LeBlanc the lead vocals from 16 Candles, Jeff Award winning singer Bethany Thomas, Beyonce super fan Baron Clay and hosted by the dual drag sensations Xandra Fairlawn and Shea Coulee.