By In Our Words Staff
Wednesday, June 19th
- Making Out, 8pm, Upstairs Gallery, 5219 N Clark, $5 suggested donation
It’s our last show at the Upstairs Gallery before we move to the Hideout! This month Wes will be telling true stories and singing songs, accompanied by Adam Cohen-Leadholm and Ros Howard.
Thursday, June 20th
- Live Lit on the Lake, 9:30pm, Theater On The Lake, 2401 N Lake Shore Drive, Free
After the main stage performance every Thursday and Friday, stay to hear Chicago’s literary all-stars read their stories, personal essays and commentaries. Live Lit is curated and hosted by Ian Belknap, founder and host of WRITE CLUB, which features a rotating lineup of Chicago’s most audacious writers/performers. This week’s GUEST HOSTS: Here’s the Story’s Janna Sobel and Guts & Glory’s Keith Ecker. This week: Solo in the Second City co-founder Carly Oishi and Erin Kahoa of all the dang Live Lit shows
Friday, June 21st
- mACREs & brACREs, 9pm, Landscape, 1850 S Blue Island
mACRES & brACREs is a one night show of performances from Chicago New Media artists. Each of these artists probe the depths of various forms of technology, bending, breaking and reconfiguring its mechanisms, signals, and data. These artists generate serendipitous connections, surprising images, and transformative sounds as the existing technology’s structure is teased apart layer by layer producing new signals which are presented in a live video feed. In each performance the structure of the signal is twisted and interrogated, held steady by the artists and hovering just before complete breakdown.
Saturday, June 22nd
- Pridefest Weekend 2013, 6/22-6/23, Boystown
Pridefest falls a weekend earlier this year! Click the link above for schedule details.
- Queerer Park presents SUMMERMOON, 10pm, Beauty Bar Chicago, 1444 W Chicago, $3
A queer dance party on the night between the Summer Solstice and the full Strawberry Moon. So celestial! So gay! $3 –> benefits the Chicago Dyke March! A grassroots mobilization and celebration of dyke, queer, bisexual, and transgender resilience. More info on the March and how you can support here: http://chicagodykemarch.wordpress.com/
- Rocky Horror Picture Show, 11:30pm, Music Box Theatre, 3733 N Southport, $10
It’s our monthly showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Music Box Theatre! June is pride month and what better way to celebrate than coming out to Rocky Horror! Gay, straight, bi, gender-queer… whatever! Come out and celebrate with your pals Midnight Madness! Come on out! Bring your friends, bring your enemies! Don’t snooze!
Sunday, June 23rd
- Transmission plays JOY DIVISION: a Girls Rock! Chicago benefit, 8pm, Lincoln Hall, 2424 N Lincoln Ave, $10 advance/$12 at the door
Monday, June 24th
- HEAVEmedia presents: Permanent Records Vol. 4, 7pm, Uncharted Books, 2630 N Milwaukee Ave
Starting this month, Permanent Records is going to be a MONTHLY event! As always, bring your old blog posts, journal entries, despondent wood carvings, songs, poems, anything! There’s scarcely a more supportive crowd in the city of Chicago with which you could share such embarassing curios. HEAVEmedia features editor Dominick Mayer hosts. Sign up and mingle at 7, show at 7:30.
- Salonathon: LEX·IC·A, 8pm, Beauty Bar Chicago, 1444 W Chicago Ave
- Queer Comedy at Zanies: PRIDE, 8:30pm, Zanies Comedy Club, 1548 N Wells, $10 advance/$15 at the door