By: In Our Words Staff
Wednesday, April 17th
- Guts & Glory, 7:00 – 9:00 PM, Powells Bookstores, 2850 N Lincoln, FREE
BADASS STORYTELLING, hosted by two cuties. BYOB and FREE. Show starts at 7 p.m. Donations go to charity. This month, featuring: Lara Levitan, Gwynn Fulcher, Jacob Knabb, Ellie Navidson, Luis Antonio Perez, and, of course, your hosts Keith Ecker and Samantha Irby.
- MAKING OUT – APRIL, 8 – 10 PM, Upstairs Gallery, 5219 N Clark, $5 suggested donation
It’s our one year anniversary! And we have exciting news to announce! MEET THIS MONTH’S FRIENDS: Suzy Rocco Granite, WHERE DA PARTY AT , Collector’s Edition, H Melt, Gary Richardson, Drew Anderson & Ayala Skopp. This month Wes will be telling true stories and singing songs inspired by the his recent trip to NYC, accompanied by Adam Cohen-Leadholm.
Thursday, April 18th
Friday, April 19th
- CONNECTIONS:: Launch Party, 8:30 PM – 2:15 AM, Loft 644, 644 N Orleans, $7 online
-Tickets – $7 ($8.38 with fee)
– To purchase tickets & RSVP visit connectionschi.eventbrite.com
– Tickets must be purchased in advance and will be sold until 9pm on 4/19/13.
– NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR
– 1/2 of all ticket sales will benefit the Lesbian Community Care Project at Howard Brown
– Ticket includes one FREE DRINK TICKET
-Event is 18+/21+ to drink
Saturday, April 20th
- The Drop ~ All Ages Queer Dance Party, 6:30 – 10:30 PM, Bottom Lounge, 1375 W Lake, $10
The Drop is a safe, intentional, fierce party space that is inclusive and empowering to queer folks and allies of all ages, gender identities, races, and sexual identities. Proceeds will go to support the remount of About Face Theatre’s youth-driven play WHAT’S THE T, running May 19th – June 2 at the Victory Gardens Upstairs Loft Space. The play advocates for more space and access for queer youth in Chicago. By throwing an all-ages party, we hope to set a standard for collaborating across lines of age and other privileges.
- Zuzuka Poderosa » Gozamos.com 3 Year Anniversary Party, 9:00 PM – 3:00 AM, Beauty Bar Chicago, FREE
We celebrate GOZAMOS on 3 years of fruition as Chicago’s leading independent online magazine and community for culturally savvy Latinos. We get down & dirty with some of Chicago best djs & a live performance by the queen of global carioca bass.
- Sister Spit Chicago – CIMMFEST, 11:30 PM – 2:30 AM, The Hideout, 1354 W Wabansia, $15
Sister Spit was established in San Francisco in the early 1990’s as a weekly all-female open mic series, co-founded by Michelle Tea and Sini Anderson. The duo launched the first Sister Spit national tour in 1997: 2 vans chock-full with cutting-edge dyke female writers and performers. Since its inception, Sister Spit has crossed the country many times and re-merged in 2007 as Sister Spit- Next Generation featuring established writers with young, emerging queer and queer-influenced artists of all genders.
Sunday, April 21st
Monday, April 22nd
- DePaul AV Club Presents: “Wristcutters: A Love Story,” 7:00-9:30 PM, DePaul Lincoln Park Student Center room 316, FREE
A film set in a strange afterlife way station that has been reserved for people who have committed suicide.
Tuesday, April 23rd
- Queer Comedy at Zanies, 8:30 – 10:30 PM, Zanies Comedy Club, 1548 N Wells, $1o in advance/$15 at the door
Queer Comedy at Zanies has been named the Advocate.com‘s “9 LGBT Friendly Comedy Shows You Should Be Supporting,” Timeout Chicago‘s “Critic’s Pick,” The Redeye’s “Do” and included on Chicago Reader’s “The Agenda.” On Tuesday April 23rd at 8:30pm, join us as we welcome headliner Megan Gailey, host Adam Guerino and featuring Gwen La Roka, Archer Coe and Marla Depew!
Wednesday, April 24th
- Subject to Change Presents: New Age/New Wave Part 1 – A Benefit for T.G.I.F. Rally and Picnic, 9:00 PM – 2:00 AM, The Burlington Bar, 3425 W Fullerton, $5 suggested donation
This month, Subject to Change brings you not one, but TWO parties! The first, at our usual haunt, The Burlington will be New Age themed and benefit T.G.I.F. Rally and Picnic and feature a performance by none other than KOKUMO herself. Your DJs Josie Bush and SRI RACHACHA will be setting the New Age mood and we have other special surprises in store! Stay tuned for more information about Part II, New Wave at our Township debut, Tuesday May 7th.