by: In Our Words Staff
Get Up, Get Out is a weekly calendar of LGBTQueer/live lit/often socially minded/always fun events in The Windy City. If you of any we missed, please add them in the comments below or e-mail them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, March 6th
- Cinema Q III, 6:30 PM, Cultural Center, 78 E Washington St, Free
Did you know there are free LGBTQ themed movies every Wednesday at the Cultural Center during March? Now you do, so go check out a movie for FREE! Check out the schedule here.
Thursday, March 7th
- Women of Color Health & Wellness Fair, 11:00-5:00 PM, Cordell Reed Student Center (Chicago State University), 9501 St. King Dr., Free
Take action for your health at Change My Story’s first-ever fair. Join women and girls from across Chicagoland and learn how you can empower yourself to live a healthier life: mind, body and soul.
- FKA: EMO TEEN VAMPIRES, 9 PM, Big Chicks, 5024 N Sheridan Rd, Free
Presented without comment.
Friday, March 8th
- The Leigh Gallery’s 8th Anniversary, 11 AM, The Leigh Gallery, 3306 N Halsted Ave
It’s the Leigh Gallery’s 8th Anniversary! To celebrate, this lesbian-owned art gallery has a special sale through the month of March. Get there while you can – there’s 10% off of anything in the gallery.
- Occupy Dance 2013, 8 PM, Josephine Louis Theater (Northwestern Evanston Campus), 20 Arts Circle Dr, $25
Explore the issue of poverty through dance with six celebrated choreographers during this performance.
Saturday, March 9th
- The 2013 Chicago Flower and Garden Show, 10 AM-8 PM, Navy Pier, 600 E Grand Ave
The Chicago Flower and Garden Show is back! Stop by Navy Pier soon to check out what’s going on with the show this year through March 17th.
- Transcend: Asian and Pacific Islander Trans* Group, 3 PM, Free
Join Transcend for their first meeting this Saturday. “Transcend is dedicated to creating a space for trans*, gender nonconforming, and gender-questioning Asians and Pacific Islanders to share experiences, distribute resources, build community, and strive for mutual empowerment. With joy, magic, and passion we transform, heal, and liberate ourselves to reach our full potential.” The group has closed meetings, so if you’re interested, shoot them an email at email@example.com.
Sunday, March 10th
- National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
Read more on this nationwide awareness day here.
- Love Your Body Wellness Fair, 1:00-4:00 PM, Haymarket Center, 120 N Sangamon, Free
This fair is full of health and wellness services, workshops, and community resources as well as live entertainment and hors d’oeuvres. All of this is brought to you by the Howard Brown Health Center and Haymarket Center in honor of National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day.
Monday, March 11th
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, 7 PM, DePaul Student Center rm 316, 2250 N Sheffield Ave, Free
Revisit your favorite man of mystery at this special presentation hosted by the DePaul AV Club. Bring your dinner and your friends for a groovy time.
Tuesday, March 12th
- OFF CHANCES, 10 PM, Danny’s, 1951 W Dickens Ave, Free
From the facebook event, “this Off Chances will be in honor of our sister, Mark Aguhar and the anniversary of her passing one year ago. We will forever be celebrating her absolute brilliance and beauty.”