by: In Our Words Staff
Wednesday, February 20th
- UndocuArt: Intersection of Immigration and LGBTQ Rights, 6pm, 1111 East 60th Street, University of Chicago Law School
In spite of being overlooked by policy makers, the UndocuQueer movement works to alter the discussion and views of immigration reform. Listen to a panel of self-identified undocumented artists, on their work and its effects nationally as well as in Chicago.
- Guts and Glory, 7pm, Powells Bookstore, 2850 North Lincoln
Live lit for the lionhearted, BYOB, Free entry, but donations are accepted (they go to children and puppies, seriously). Always full force and burtally poginnat, hear stories from Kelsie Huff, Adam Guerino and Caitlin Bergh, among others.
- Making Out with Wes Perry, 8pm, Upstairs Gallery, 5219 North Clark.
A night with song, story, and Perry’s talented friends. Drink, be merry, and get ready to MAKE OUT.
Thursday, February 21st
- Permenant Records, Volume 2, 7:30, Uncharted Books, 2630 North Milwaukee.
Remember high school you, the internet might too. Dig up your Xangas, Live Journals, saved notes, old fanfics, and release them into the air. Part public confessional, part time capsule, shake it with your nerves, and you get an amazing perfromance night. Its all open mic, so please, bring something.
- SIN @ Roscoe’s: An Evening of Gender Bending Beauties, 10:30 pm, Roscoe’s, 3356 North Halsted
From the Facebook even:
You’ve been to the Infamous SIN @ Roscoe’s. You’ve seen them shimmy and shine, girate and convulse, dance and disgust. You’ve witnessed some of Chicago’s best performers do what they do best. And, you’ve fallen in love
Friday, February 22nd
- Dandelions in the Concrete Winter 2013 Chill, 6pm, DePaul Schmitt Academic Center (The SAC Pit), 2320 North Kenmore
From the Facebook Group:
“Chill: Collaboration, Healing, Intervention, Love, and Liberation”
An evening for for collective healing and transformation through storytelling, art, music, poetry, and an open mic
6-7 Dinner, Aroma Therapy Workshop, Yoga, Bookmark Making, Student Organization Tables and Film Screening and Performance Workshop with Linda Merchant,
7 – 9 performances and open mic, featuring Dustin Goltz’s Performance Collaboration class
- Funny Ha-Ha: The Triumphant Return!, 6:30 PM, The Hideout, 1354 W Wabansia, $5
With a hiatus over, this hilarious live lit night comes back with a stellar lineup; Samantha Irby, Chris Piatt, Dana Norris, and many more.
Sunday, February 24th
- 85th Annual Academy Awards, 6 PM
Just in case you still cared about the Oscars but couldn’t remember what time they aired, we’ve left you this little reminder. 🙂
Monday, February 25th
- Salonathon: LEX•IC•A, 8 PM, Beauty Bar, 1444 W Chicago Ave
From the Facebook event:
LEX·IC·A is a celebration of the ways in which we communicate with one another and the knowledge we share in this process. It seeks to explore the myriad of complex and beautiful ways we share, play, love, suffer and honor one another through performance work and strive to cultivate community. LEX·IC·A is an inclusive event for anyone interested in procuring dialogue and discourse through performance. Take risks, challenge norms, resist and thrive!
Tuesday, February 26th
- Queer Comedy at Zanies: The New York Invasion, 8:30, Zanies, 1548 North Wells
Hosted by the lovely, funny Bill Cruz, this installment of OutLoud Chicago’s signature show features two New Yorkers; Jami Smith, of The Advocate, and Matteo Lane. Also featured is local stand up/ storyteller/ delightful human being Kelsie Huff.