by: In Our Words Staff
Get Up, Get Out is a weekly calendar of LGBTQueer/live lit/often socially minded/always fun events in The Windy City. If you of any we missed, please add them in the comments below or e-mail them to us at email@example.com.
Wednesday, February 13th
- Cupid’s Queer Comedy Show, 7 PM, DePaul Lincoln Park Student Center, 2250 N Sheffield, $5 suggested donation
Five of Chicago’s most talented comedians are taking over the Brownstones Annex for one fun-filled evening. Whether you’re single or struck by Cupid’s arrow, come join Spectrum DePaul, queers, and allies alike.
Thursday, February 14th
- Chicago Rising, 12 PM, Richard J. Daley Center, 50 W Washington St
Walk out, dance and rise up against gender-based violence this Valentine’s Day. The rally and flash dance start at noon, and will be followed by a Daytime Dance Party. All ages, bodies, and expressions are welcome, and trust us, this is one event you won’t want to miss.
- Queer Amp’s Valentine’s GAY Party, 8 PM, Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N Western Ave, $5
It’s that time of the month again! Queer Amp is back for its first annual Valentine’s GAY party. Rock out to the Recruitment, Congress of Starlings, and Les Beaux all in one night. Don’t forget to have a $1 shot of Malort with us.
Friday, February 15th
- Queer Fest America Benefits Broadway Youth Center, 9 PM, the Mutiny Chicago, 2428 N Western Ave
QFA is benefiting the Broadway Youth Center’s Educational Department. Come for the free show, and bring some school supplies for BYC.
- Dollhouse, 9 PM, Cuna, 1113 W Belmont Ave
Chicago’s most diverse lesbian night has moved to a new home! Come to the Cuna and help them break in their new home.
Saturday, February 16th
- Immigration Equality Benefit, 5 PM, the Glenwood, 6962 N Glenwood Ave
Stop by the Glenwood for this benefit for Immigration Equality. The evening is dedicated to supporting this awesome organization that is fighting to ensure that same-sex couples can have equal immigration rights.
- #LTAB2013 Reading and Conversation with Patricia Smith, 7 PM, Young Chicago Authors, 1180 N Milwaukee Ave
Come join a FREE evening of dialogue and performance with Patricia Smith. Louder Than A Bomb and Public Square have some other great people in store for the night, so you better be there. Or be square.
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo, 8 PM, ECC Arts Center (Building H), 1700 Spartan Dr., $36
Digitally run to the get your tickets because these puppies are running out. C’mon, you love Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
Sunday, February 17th
- CHUNKS: A one woman show, 7:30 PM, Studio Be, 3110 N Sheffield Ave, $7 & BYOB
From the facebook event:
Caitlin Bergh, cast-member at The Lincoln Lodge and founder of The Funny Story Show, will be performing her new one-woman show, CHUNKS, every Sunday in February at Studio Be. The show, which debuted in January to rave audience reviews, details Bergh’s horrifically gross journey to find love as a sexually-repressed, reclusive & obsessive young adult. Coming out of the closet for Bergh is not just about figuring out that she wants to date women; it is about realizing that she is really, truly weird. In a series of charming and uproariously funny stories, Bergh weaves a tale of heartache, tragedy, and, ultimately, self-tolerance.
- SPECTRUM – An Alternative Disco, 10 PM, Neo, 2350 N Clark St, $5
Come out for another night at this alternative disco. Bump and grind with special guests Ross Kelly and Bridget Marie. Don’t forget to dress to express!
Monday, February 18th
- Trannika’s Most Wanted: A President’s Day Spectacular, 9 PM, Scarlet, 3320 N Halsted
From the facebook event:
Once a month Trannika Rex & Fireball Whisky herd together the best of Chicago’s worst queens for an over-the-top drag show that’s sure to make you laugh, cry, & feel moderate to severe indigestion!
Tuesday, February 19th
- WRITE CLUB Chicago – Chapter 39, 7 PM, Hideout Inn, 1354 W Wabansia, $10
How do you even begin to describe WRITE CLUB? Two words: blood sport. A cut of the proceeds go to charities of the winners’ choosing. It doesn’t get any better than this, folks.