By: In Our Words Staff
This is Get Up, Get Out, a weekly datebook for LGBTQueerer and live lit events across the Windy City. If we are missing any or you would like to add something, comment any pertinent info below.
Wednesday, January 23rd
- Solo in the 2nd City: Ladies’ Night, 8pm, Beauty Bar, 1444 West Chicago
Friends of the site Melinda McIntire and Carly Oishi host their bi-monthly night of singles storytelling. This time it’s all women, and after the show there will be an open mic.
- 40th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade Celebration, 6:30, Carnivale Restaurant, 702 West Fulton Market
From the Windy City Times:
Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA) will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.
Some exciting highlights:
• Former Senior Advisor to President Obama, David Axelrod, will be the keynote speaker
• Illinois Senate President John J. Cullerton will be the master of ceremonies
• Dawn Clark Netsch, former state comptroller and the first woman to be elected to state constitutional executive office, will be receiving PPIA’s Dr. Marvin Rosner Lifetime Achievement Award
• One-of-a-kind raffle items
Join Planned Parenthood Illinois Action as we mark the anniversary of the historic ruling, continue the fight to protect women’s reproductive healthcare and rights, and recognize all of the advocates who continue to fight for equality every day.
Friday, January 25th
- Geeks Out! Windy City Mixer, 7pm, Spin, 800 West Belmont
Where nerds can be nerds, mingle amongst “DC or Marvel, casual hero-movie watchers, gaymers, Trekkies, cosplayers, keyblade holders, lapsed-comic readers, muggles, fangbangers” they seem to love ’em all.
- Miami Nice: A Golden Girls Musical, 7:30 pm, Gorilla Tango Theater, 1919 North Milwaukee
From The Windy City Times:
Picture it, Miami, 1986. Divorced and over 60, substitute teacher Dorothy Zbornak is spending another lonely Friday night playing Scrabble with her mother, Sophia. With the help of her roommates, the slutty Blanche Devereaux and the phenomenally stupid Rose Nylund, she is determined to land herself a man, or at the very least, a date. But with the revelation that Rose’s idiot exterior is actually a cover for a cocaine distribution mastermind, the ladies are suddenly plunged into a blood-soaked world of drugs, guns, and cheesecake.
- Jai Ho! Bollywood Bling- All Queer, All Bollywood, All Night, 10pm, Big Chicks, 5024 North Sheridan
Trikone presents their signature dance party, celebrating the South Asian LGBTQ community. Glitzy, Glam, and performances at midnight.
Saturday, January 26th
- Urban Twist- Social Not Working, 9pm, Donny’s Skybox- Second City (4th floor), 1608 North Wells
Second City Outreach and Diversity proudly present this twisted sketch and improv hour. New talent mixes it up with scenes from the Second City vaults and their own work. Half off or 2 for 1 tickets if you mention Outreach at the door. And if Dionna Giffin-Irons is there, give her a hug and a hello from Patrick.
Monday, January 28th
- DePaul AV Club presents: “A Beautiful Mind”, 7pm, Lincoln Park Campus Student Center Room 316, 2291 North Sheffield
Join DePaul’s only film appreciation group in remembering Russell Crowe being able to act! No really, it’s pretty good.
- Salonathon presents: LEX-I-CA, 8pm, Beauty Bar, 1444 West Chicago
From the Facebook event:
L-EX-IC-A is a celebration of the ways in which we communicate with one another and the knowledge we share in this process. It seeks to explore the myriad of complex and beautiful ways we share, play, love, suffer and honor one another through performance work and strive to cultivate community. LEX·IC·A is an inclusive event for anyone interested in procuring dialogue and discourse through performance. Take risks, challenge norms, resist and thrive! Performers include KOKUMO, +/emanuel vinson, Dirty Grits, Darling Shear, CTTC, Wes Perry & Swaguerilla, NIC K., Mister Junior & Jerry Blossom.
Tuesday, January 29th
- OutLoud Chicago presents Queer Comedy at Zaines- Season 3 Opener, 8:30 pm, Zanies, 1548 North Wells
Returning for another strong season, come join IOW loverboy Adam Guerino. From the Facebook Page:
Queer Comedy at Zanies has been named the Advocate.com‘s “9 LGBT Friendly Comedy Shows You Should Be Supporting,” Timeout Chicago‘s “Critic’s Pick” and The Redeye’s “Do.” On Tuesday January 29th at 8:30pm, join us for the season 3 opener with headliner Liza Treyger hosted by Adam Guerino, featuring Carey Callahan, Ali Clayton and Archer Coe.