by: Stephanie Mathena
Possibly the greatest nostalgic indulgence for most of us 20 somethings lies within the hippest, fresh stylings of host Carson Daly, alongside Peyton, I mean… Hilarie Burton, and the future Mrs. Nick Lachey (Vanessa Milano). TRL was Youtube before Youtube, therefore, it deserves to be reflected on.
Why everyone should miss TRL:
– The THRILL of a live audience after school, because you were always certain you were going to know someone in the crowd.
– The same reason we all loved Bug Juice, (“I AM GETTING ON THIS SHOW SOME DAY!”)
– Responsible for our fashion choices of choker necklaces, glittery middle parts, midriff tops, and fur coats rocked by Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears.
– It was the inspiration for 95% of my 4th grade talent show, minus the random kid who could jump rope really well.
– The hot musclely, obviously gay background dancers in tight tank tops grabbing the crotches of their cargo pants on live television.
– Lance Bass came out when TRL still existed. What?!
– It was originally the only place where you could find interviews and live performances of your favorite bands.
– Which in turn, perfected the art of the “simple” synchronized dance move.
– It was responsible for most of us learning how to break dance from guys in overalls, beads in their hair, and turtlenecks in front of the TV.
– It was to blame for any girl in the 7th grade with a belly button ring, wearing their thongs on the outside of their bell bottoms.
– The countdowns never seemed to be predictable.
– The antsy feeling you got on the school bus when you knew you were going to miss the first five minutes.
– The fact that both Lady Gaga and the cast of Dawson’s Creek have both been in the TRL studio blows my mind.
– The awkward game show interviews, call-in questions, and general bad small talk between Carson Daly and celebrities.
– The secret resentment you felt toward that Damien guy that replaced Carson.
– The totally cool neon graphics and the floating MTV cube box in the bottom right hand corner.
– Britney Spears hosting a Spring Break TRL episode (when TRL’s Spring Break was an entire month longer than ours).
– Daphne Aguilera Vs. Christina Aguilera. Enough said.
– No matter how many freaking times you called in to talk to O-Town, you never got through.
God I miss these days.